Next Step
The next step in this fun adventure we are about to embarked on is radiation.
This step has had me more nervous than any other. It's all in my head I know but it's been hard to get past. I've mentioned before my dad was exposed to radiation when he was in the military years and years ago which caused him to have cancer that ended up killing him. It's been hard to wrap my mind around voluntarily exposing myself to something that they say killed my dad.
I've been told they are giving me a different kind of radiation than he was exposed to but it's still a struggle mentally. It's one of the reasons I LOVE my radiation oncologist, she has taken time at each appointment to make sure I'm at peace mentally with all this and goes the extra mile to explain exactly what all she is planning to do to minimize any exposure my heart and lungs.
I went and met with a naturopath to get their opinion on the radiation treatment as well as if they could offer any alternatives. I was shocked to hear them tell me with my cancer situation they would encourage me to go ahead with the radiation step. It helped me to make the decision a bit easier though.
I went and talked to my radiation oncologist and voiced my concerns again and she has decided we are going to do a special kind of radiation where the radiation beam will only go on at certain times. It will go with my breathing as with each breath my insides move around just enough for the beam to avoid hitting my heart and lungs when I breathe in. I'm grateful they are willing to go to these extra lengths for me to help me and my body in the long run. Radiation started today, I have 29 more doses to go. So far so good but, prayer is always appreciated.
With radiation therapy I get to say I have a tattoo now too. They tattoo us to help line us up with the radiation beam in the exact position each time as I will go in for 30 days (not weekends and holidays). Once we get the breathing technique down each appointment will only be about 15-20 minutes but todays took almost an hour. It is also being done downtown Boise as it is the only St Luke's that offers this procedure. So there is the commute to and from to factor in.
With everything that's been going on we helped my mom head out to her sisters to take a vacation between treatment stages. She deserves a HUGE one!!!
We've been blessed to have Nathan's sister April come out and spend time with us to help us out while my mom is out of town and we were told radiation would start this week but due to insurance we ended up playing the waiting game so we start the last day she is here. But......she has decided to come back next week again!
Knowing the Lord and that He is faithful and His word is true is all I need and brings me peace it’s when I take my eyes off the Lord and focus on the circumstances the fear creeps in. But.......The Lord says...
Isaiah 43:1 says "Don't fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine."
I LOVE this!
Isaiah 41:10 says "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Proverbs 12:25 says "An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up."
The Lord has brought so many cheerleaders to me during this experience with kind words to encourage and cheer me along. One of the MANY things I love about having April around right now is she is one of the most positive, cheerful people I have ever met. Not only that but I get to call her sister but she is always encouraging me and making life fun for the kids. She brought her dog Lola with her and our kids are in heaven! She takes them to the park by us, she plays games with them, has swinging competitions with them, jumps on the trampoline with them.
She has been through this cancer journey with a dear friend and just knows. She knows how to help, how to just be there and check in and let us know we are never alone. Chemo is over, surgery is over but we still have a long road ahead and she is one of the many who just know.
I have been keeping a journal of all the amazing blessings the Lord has brought our way along this journey in hopes of someday remember them all that I too can return these things that have made such a difference for us to others the Lord has in our life that need help, or a kind word, or just to know that someone is thinking of them.
This step has had me more nervous than any other. It's all in my head I know but it's been hard to get past. I've mentioned before my dad was exposed to radiation when he was in the military years and years ago which caused him to have cancer that ended up killing him. It's been hard to wrap my mind around voluntarily exposing myself to something that they say killed my dad.
I've been told they are giving me a different kind of radiation than he was exposed to but it's still a struggle mentally. It's one of the reasons I LOVE my radiation oncologist, she has taken time at each appointment to make sure I'm at peace mentally with all this and goes the extra mile to explain exactly what all she is planning to do to minimize any exposure my heart and lungs.
I went and met with a naturopath to get their opinion on the radiation treatment as well as if they could offer any alternatives. I was shocked to hear them tell me with my cancer situation they would encourage me to go ahead with the radiation step. It helped me to make the decision a bit easier though.
I went and talked to my radiation oncologist and voiced my concerns again and she has decided we are going to do a special kind of radiation where the radiation beam will only go on at certain times. It will go with my breathing as with each breath my insides move around just enough for the beam to avoid hitting my heart and lungs when I breathe in. I'm grateful they are willing to go to these extra lengths for me to help me and my body in the long run. Radiation started today, I have 29 more doses to go. So far so good but, prayer is always appreciated.
With radiation therapy I get to say I have a tattoo now too. They tattoo us to help line us up with the radiation beam in the exact position each time as I will go in for 30 days (not weekends and holidays). Once we get the breathing technique down each appointment will only be about 15-20 minutes but todays took almost an hour. It is also being done downtown Boise as it is the only St Luke's that offers this procedure. So there is the commute to and from to factor in.
With everything that's been going on we helped my mom head out to her sisters to take a vacation between treatment stages. She deserves a HUGE one!!!
We've been blessed to have Nathan's sister April come out and spend time with us to help us out while my mom is out of town and we were told radiation would start this week but due to insurance we ended up playing the waiting game so we start the last day she is here. But......she has decided to come back next week again!
Knowing the Lord and that He is faithful and His word is true is all I need and brings me peace it’s when I take my eyes off the Lord and focus on the circumstances the fear creeps in. But.......The Lord says...
Isaiah 43:1 says "Don't fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine."
I LOVE this!
Isaiah 41:10 says "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Proverbs 12:25 says "An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up."
The Lord has brought so many cheerleaders to me during this experience with kind words to encourage and cheer me along. One of the MANY things I love about having April around right now is she is one of the most positive, cheerful people I have ever met. Not only that but I get to call her sister but she is always encouraging me and making life fun for the kids. She brought her dog Lola with her and our kids are in heaven! She takes them to the park by us, she plays games with them, has swinging competitions with them, jumps on the trampoline with them.
She has been through this cancer journey with a dear friend and just knows. She knows how to help, how to just be there and check in and let us know we are never alone. Chemo is over, surgery is over but we still have a long road ahead and she is one of the many who just know.
I have been keeping a journal of all the amazing blessings the Lord has brought our way along this journey in hopes of someday remember them all that I too can return these things that have made such a difference for us to others the Lord has in our life that need help, or a kind word, or just to know that someone is thinking of them.
Ellis and Lola just chilling. :-)


Comments
Post a Comment